MyLeague.com has one of the simplest ranking systems ever used for competitive play. We call it a "Ladder" because each player has a unique rank or "rung" that represents their standing among other players. The highest ranked player holds the #1 position. Someone ranked #2 is ranked below the #1 player. So, the goal is to "climb" the Ladder all the way to the top.
- When you first join you are placed in the "Unranked" category of the Ladder.
- You become "Ranked" after winning your first Ladder match. (Unranked users can play each other and the winner becomes ranked at the bottom of the ladder.)
- When you defeat a higher ranked player you move up half the distance between their rank and your own. Example: If you were ranked #500 and defeated the player ranked #100, your new rank would be #300.
- Your rank on the Ladder does not go down if you lose a match unless your opponent is ranked directly below you. When other players beat people above you and jump over you in rank you will slide down.
- The Administration is comprised of volunteers who help make sure that the rules are enforced, conflicts are quelled, account problems resolved, and that questions about the ladder, variants, accounts, weather, etc. are answered.
- There is a special email address for contact the administration – CatanAdmins@YahooGroups.com – if you cannot find an Admin online.
- Admin rulings are final.
- Issues with staff – admins, forum moderators, or Tournament Directors should be brought to the attention of the Head Admins. If you abuse this by continually going over the heads of the others, you’ll be summarily shot. Or ignored.
Choosing a Ladder Name
- If your Ladder name is offensive to other users or contains profanity your account will be removed.
- If your Ladder name is found to be abusive towards another user your account will be removed.
- If your Ladder name is found to be too similar to an existing user's nickname you will have to choose another.
- You are only allowed to change your Ladder name once per week, and can do so using the "USER EDITOR" on the ladder site. In special circumstances an admin can change your name more often but you must seek an admin out for this.
- Your Ladder name must match the name you use in chat and play your matches under exactly. This includes spaces, underscores and other keyboard characters. If you "crash" out during a game and cannot get back in, sign back in using a different capitalization of your name nickname and Nickname. Do not "add" to your name to return Nickname1 is not acceptable.
- Players should never report a loss to a name that is different than the one their opponent used during the match.
Valid Java site account
- Your E-mail address must be kept current on the site, as it is the only way we have of contacting you. Use the 'USER EDITOR' if you need to change it.
- If your E-mail address is found to be invalid your account will be placed in the penalty box or removed.
- All members of the ladder are REQUIRED to have passworded accounts on the Java site where games are played. To be clear, you are required to have an account on both MyLeague.com and JSettlers.com. If you are having difficulty creating an account, please contact the Ladder Administration Team at CatanAdmins@YahooGroups.com.
- Accounts without proper validations from the Java site will be placed in the penalty box or removed.
- If you haven't played a match in 30 days, your account will be removed automatically, unless you subscribe to MyLeague’s paid membership.
- Removal for inactivity is completely automated. No exceptions are made to this rule, as purged accounts cannot be restored.
The Penalty Box
- It is illegal for one person to have multiple accounts on the laddersite. Only one account is allowed per person, PERIOD. If you are found to have multiple accounts, all of your accounts will be removed.
- It is illegal for more than one person to use or share the same account. You are more than welcome to each participate in the Ladder, but you will have to create separate accounts for each individual playing.
- You may not play another player from the same IP address. Players from identical IPs in the same household or not are not to play games against each other. Penalty for this is suspension or removal from the ladder for both accounts.
- It is illegal to share your password with any other user for the purpose of reporting or any reason. If you are discovered using another user's password both of your accounts will be removed.
The penalty box is where players get placed by the Ladder Administration Team when rules transgressions occur. You may be placed in the penalty box for unsportsmanlike behavior, repeated failures to report, failure to have a valid email address, failure to have a valid java site account, interfering with game play, playing against the substitution bots on the ladder server, and more. Admins may also choose other methods of penalizing your account.
- By signing up for the ladder, you have agreed to abide by all posted rules, Admin rulings, and any future rule changes, additions, deletions, etc.
- If you are in the penalty box, you may not play on the ladder server. Players found violating this rule are subject to a longer suspension or removal from the ladder entirely, including lifetime bans.
- If you are in the penalty box for invalid email account or lack of a Java site account, please contact the Ladder Administration Team at CatanAdmins@YahooGroups.com for assistance in resolving the situation.
- Admin decisions are final. If you feel you have been unfairly penalized, please present a cogent, calm argument to the Admins.
- Players who are in the penalty box will have a negative "days idle" in their player record, indicating how long of a penalty remains to be served.
Setting a Table
Sitting at a Table
- The tablesetter is responsible for choosing the variant for a table, and should indicate in the title of the game what that variant is. If a placement variant is fouled, the game is subject to immediate restart.
- The tablesetter is responsible for verifying that all players are ladder members and are not in the penalty box (indicated by negative days idle). Names should be copy and pasted into the "Find Player" lookup utility to avoid issues.
- The tablesetter will press the "Start Game" button to commence play when a table is full and players have been verified. This is ladder etiquette it is not a game-ending violation if someone else presses start.
- The default rules are full robbing, unlimited placement, and unlimited trading, better known as "regular." A link to variant games may be found on the Main Page of the ladder site.
- It is illegal to play in more than one Ladder match at a time. This includes sitting at two (or more) unstarted tables or sitting in an active game and game that isn’t started.
- If another player’s name is in the title and you do not see that player sitting at the table, please ask the tablesetter if you may sit.
- If you have two reports in a day with a player seated at a table, do not sit. You will be unable to report to that person, and that person will not be able to report to you. Purposefully playing a third game against a player may be subject to penalty, regardless if the players agreed to it. If you accidentally play a third game, you are still responsible for making the report the next day, but please keep such incidences rare.
- You should play against as many different players as you can. Playing against the same set of players repeatedly isn’t in the spirit of the ladder.
- You are not allowed to play Ladder matches against people who live in the same household as you (whether you are in the same physical location or not for that specific game), or have the same IP address or are in the same location as you. You can play friends and relatives who do not live with you, but you should limit matches against them to one or two a week. Remember, the idea of the Ladder is to see how you stack up against players from all over the world not across the street.
- You are not allowed to report losses to anyone who plays from the same computer as you do… ever. Our security software will detect this activity if it is attempted and participating accounts will be penalized or removed.
- Any abusive language, behavior, or harassment of players in a game, email, or channel is grounds for penalty. If you feel you are being mistreated, please copy and paste the chat transcript and email it the Admins.
- Two wrongs do not make a right. Responding to bad behavior with bad behavior may incur penalty.
Playing a Ladder Match
- Typing *WHO* will list all of the players currently in a game room, whether they are sitting or standing. This is an effective way for tablesetters to gather names to check against the laddersite.
- Typing *CHECKTIME* will indicate how long until a game expires. All games have 90 minutes to be played by default, although most will take between 10 and 30 minutes.
- Typing *ADDTIME* will increase the amount of time available before a game expires.
- Typing \ignore NICKNAME will prevent you from seeing what is typed by other players.
- Typing \unignore NICKNAME will remove a nickname from your ignore list.
- All ladder games are to be played on the Ladder server at the Java Settlers of Catan Site. The url is: http://ladder.jsettlers.com but this is subject to change. Matches should not be reported from any site or software other than Jsettlers.com except in special conditions.
- Ladder Tables should have the variant for the match clearly marked. For example "CatanPlayers Regular" or "SheepHerders NTRR". Include the names of any reserved seats in the game title. Games should contain only ladder players.
- Games should continue even if players lose their connections. Subs may be found if players do not return within a minute or two. Players MAY NOT simply leave and are subject to penalty for leaving a game without table consensus to end the match. If the table votes to end the game and restart then that is the table decision. If a sub for a player is found they are NOT required to report the person who initially owned the seat MUST report once they are back online. However if the sub does win, they should receive the report this is to encourage people to sub.
- Abuses of variant rules are to be settled BY THE TABLE. Balance should be restored by trading back resources as necessary. A good guideline to follow is that the erring player may not build or buy cards until all lost resources are restored. If the game has been severely fouled by the actions of the errant player, the table may vote to restart. However, it is preferred that peaceful and rapid resolution of the problem be made.
- Table talk between players at a table is allowed respect your tablemates. If you don't know them, don't offer advice. Audience members should remain quiet if requested, and leave if seated members request as such. The Java site has an ignore player option if necessary, but audience members who do not respect the players are subject to being boxed for interfering with a game.
- In a trade game all trades are legal that promote or continue the game.
- The members of the Settlers of Catan Ladder play several variants on the original game. A large listing of these variants may be found at http://www.contractbud.com/article.php?article=catanvariants
- The Settlers of Catan Ladder requires that each loser report one loss to the winner or, in the case of team games, that each loser report one loss to each winner. Losses are to be reported immediately after a game is completed and before sitting in another table or leaving the site. Not reporting promptly will result in misunderstandings, penalties, or removal of accounts. Failure to report will result in penalties and removal of the account.
- Reports are to be made through the Laddersite reporting utility at http://www.myleague.com/soc by clicking on "Report Loss" and following the screens.
- Reports made in error can not be removed from your record however, if you and your opponent are top 25 players and it makes a difference in the top 25, the rank statistics can be altered accordingly. Otherwise, you were a generous soul.
- Matches should be reported in order of rank. Players who win should receive three reports, preferably in rank order from lowest to highest (i.e., #600 reports first, #200 reports second, #24 reports third). Top 25 players should always report in order, but if the other game players do not report within a minute or two of the game's conclusion, they may break this rule to make a timely report. Top 25 players making a habit of reporting out of order may be rank dropped. Admins can correct out of order reports if the incorrect reporting has or would have an effect on the top 25 but the admins must be contacted promptly for this to occur.
- If you have a problem and cannot report your own loss, please contact the Admins and discontinue play until the issue is resolved.
Failure to Finish Match
Failure to Report Match
- Once you start a match you are responsible for completing it. If you leave before the game is finished for any reason (including applet crash), you are responsible for reporting to the eventual winner of the game, or the clearly defined leader if the game is unable to continue due to your departure. Winners of these games should email the departed player and CatanAdmins@YahooGroups.com when requesting this report. If there was no clear winner at that point in the match and the game cannot continue, no reports will be filed.
- If a substitute player is found, the substitute is not obligated to report to the winner (since the original player is responsible for a loss report). If the substitute player wins, the other players must report to the substitute, not the original player. The original player will not owe a report to the substitute.
- If a game gets hung up by a crashed client that doesn't disappear, seek the help of the admin team, who can "bust" the ghost out of your table. If your client is the one that crashes, remember you can return to the game immediately by changing the capitalization of your nickname. Table members have the option of asking for a restart after a minute has elapsed. If the three remaining players agree, the table should restart. If there is not consensus, the tablesetter will decide (provided this is not the crashed player). If there is a clearly defined leader of the game, all players, including the crashed player, should report a loss. If five or more minutes elapse and the crashed player has not reappeared, the match should be declared over.
- If you are a player with a ‘Bomb' you have two options: keep the bomb and continue acquiring them until you are removed from the ladder or ask the admins to remove the bomb. If an admin removes your bomb, you will be boxed on your next missed report and kicked off the ladder for the one after that, and subject to a permanent ban.
Abuse, Cheating, Unsportsmanlike Behavior
- If a player fails to report a loss within five minutes of the game's conclusion and the player cannot be found online, email them a friendly reminder with your Ladder name and those of the other players, and include CatanAdmins@YahooGroups.com in the email. You may find other player's email by using the Find Player function on http://www.myleague.com/soc/ you may also use the Unreported Match feature.
- Posting ads requesting a missing report is strictly prohibited. Players found doing this are subject to time in the penalty box.
- If 24 hours pass and the player has not reported, an Admin may post the result for you provided you have used the Unreported Match feature or forwarded your initial email to CatanAdmins@YahooGroups.com stating that the player has still not filed their report.
- If an Admin needs to report the match, the player may be given a penalty flag. Two or more penalty flags results in a bomb icon beside your name in the Find Player screen to warn other players. Subsequent missed reports may result in a player being placed in the penalty box or removed from the ladder entirely.
- Foul language, abusive behavior, unsportsmanlike conduct, negative ads will not be tolerated. Keep in mind that there are minors playing on this system. Players to be found in violation of standards of behavior are subject to warning, penalty box, and being removed and permanently banned from the ladder.
- Any player(s) found to have engaged in rank manipulation that would be collusion in games, availability or any other fashion resulting in an unfair advantage for a group of players may be dropped in rank, removed from the ladder, or otherwise penalized at the discretion of the ladder administrators.
- If you are certain your opponent is cheating, please contact the Admins online or by email with as much documentation as you can provide. If your opponent submits an unreported match claim against you, be sure to reply to the inquiry mail explaining your reasoning or the match will be posted against you and you will be subject to penalty.
- If you encounter another Ladder user behaving in an unacceptable manner in chat the best thing to do is just ignore them. If you notice one particular user being abusive repeatedly, please contact the Admins online or by email with as much documentation as you can provide.
- There are many players available to challenge. It is illegal to continually harass one specific player for a match. If you feel a player is avoiding your challenge, please contact the Admins online or by email
- We encourage you to try to solve problems on your own before bringing it to the Admins, but not to the point of creating hardship for yourself or harassing other users. If you have a problem we are here to help you.
- It is important to remember that two wrongs do not make a right. In other words, if you are being harrassed by another Ladder member come to us for assistance. Do not take matters into your own hands or return the abuse, or you could find yourself in trouble as well.
- It is illegal to refuse matches based on Ladder rank.
- It is illegal to set tables based on Ladder rank.
- Players with an "upgame" percentage (i.e., the percentage of players played with a higher rank) over 55% should seek out lower ranked players more frequently. High upgame players will be removed from the top 25 to discourage rankmongering.
Highly Ranked Players (Top 25)
- The rules are determined for each individual tournament by the Tournament Director hosting the event. If you click on the link for a specific tournament you will see a summary of that tourney, including a 'RULES' link where you can find any specific rules for the event.
- All players who sign up for a tournament must join the appropriate Tourney Chat channel and should not start new ladder games.
- Players interfering with the normal conduct of a tournament are subject to penalty, including banning from the ladder server.
- The Tournament Director is responsible for reporting for players using the special Tournament software. Players are not responsible for making reports for losses incurred during tournaments.
- Tournament Directors have sole say over who is allowed in a tournament, and may remove any registered player from their tournaments.
- Rulings of the Tournament Director for their tournaments are final and will not be overturned by an admin.
- No top 5 player may decrease the amount of games they play once they reach top ranks. A decrease of more than 50% over two days is subject to rank drop to rank 26.
- Top 10 players may not be idle for 2 days. These players will automatically be ranked dropped to rank 26.
- Top 10 players must play the rank immediately below them AT LEAST every two days when that person is ranked immediately below them. For example, #3 losing to #5 (moving #5 to #4) does NOT qualify as playing the rank below. Players should make an effort to be available as not all ladder players are on Eastern Standard Time.
- Top 25 players may NOT have an "upgame" percentage higher than 55% Penalty is rank drop to rank 26. Your upgame is the percentage of players ranked higher than you that you play and can be found in the red column under Find Player.
- Top 25 players are strongly encouraged to present the best example to all players and to play frequently and players of all ranks and experience and games of different variants.
- Top-ranked players are encouraged to step down to allow others a shot at the top of the heap.
Fill in the Blank
- Formal challenges should be played in the order received and should be played before playing other games whenever possible.
- Players involved in a formal challenge have the option of selecting who may fill one of the two open seats, but never both. It is preferred that both remaining seats be "first come, first served."
- Player being challenged will choose the variant to be played.
We can't cover every aspect of gaming in our rules. We have tried to be as thorough as possible and cover all the basics. However, just because something is not listed doesn't mean that it is allowed. Use common sense. If it is something that will adversely affect other players and you might think twice about doing, it's probably against the rules or at least not a good idea. If an Admin tells you to stop doing something, please stop behaving like that or doing whatever behavior the admin has requested you to stop. Our Admins have the final say in such matters. If you have a specific question please feel free to contact us via E-mail.